SCJP 1.5 Tips from Real Exam Takers
Originaly posted by Srimadhava Reddy here :
1. Kathy Sierra & Bert Bates is the best book for this exam.
2. Read the book 2 or 3 times & Clearly understand the topic and do all the questions given in this book
at end of each chapter.
3. Clearly understand the rules for overloading and overriding.
4. Get familiar with the API for Date, Calender, Locale, DateFormat, String, StringBUffer & StringBuilder.
5. Write Simple programs to make it clear for Regular expressions & Static imports.
6. For I/o, Serialization follow the steps. Like creation & working with directories,
Storing and reading data to and from file, etc.
7. Clearly Understand how the boxing & unboxing is working.
8. Familier the API for Array & Collections classes.
9. Make it clear in var args and Conversions (Wrapper to primitive & vice versa)
10. In Collections Clearly understand how we can override hashCode and Equals methods.
Familar the differences between all the Collection interfaces and Classes.
11. Threading, good book is ks&B one only. Read 2 or 3 times and do all questions given.
If You want to pass, that book is sufficient.
For Generics & Collections, Enums & Var-args I followed the mock questions from java-beat.
They are very good. Especillay for all new topics which are introduced for 5.0 they covered vey well.
Mocks exams done by me:
- 1. Kathy Sierra & Bert Bates book questions + 2 mock exams (They are tough compared to real exam)
- 2. Mocks exam question from java-beat.
- 3. http://www.danchisholm.net/ (for all old topics).
- 4. http://faq.javaranch.com/view?ScjpMockTests (You can get some question from that).
Originaly posted by Devendra Thomre here :
Following are some tips that i want to share with u all who are
planning to give SCJP 1.5
Please master in rules of overriding and overloading , coz almost
all the questions test ur knowledge of overloading and overriding
Make ur concept clear for boxing , unboxing, wrapper to primitive ,
primitive to wrapper .
Criteria for selecting appropriate overloaded method when there are
2-3 methods overloaded with Object, Primitive, Var args as an
For file i/o, Serialization get thorough with steps , u will
mostly get drag n drop questions on this section .
String , string buffer , String builder get familiar with API
Threading , Synchronization …… Generics and Collections -- get
thorough with Collection and Array API .HashCode and Equals
overriding , Generics concept , Generic classes.
Special thanks to Javabeat.net's mock up questions for this
sections . The generics concept which is given in Kathy book is good
but to get thorough with each and every syntax when u use generics
we need some more material . There are many ways by which u can
declare generics (with warning and without warning compilation )
and use it . And u need to understand it more critically since here
we do have one more answer "compilation with warning or without
warning" in the options given .
I suppose the material that I referred for this topic which was
provided by javabeat.net mock up questions was really great , It
not only helped to get generics concept clear but also boosted the
confidence to play with generics questions .
Othere topics that I liked from this material was Enum , Var-args ,
Boxing unboxing and File I/0 .. Since these are new topics included
in scjp 1.5 . we need to focus more on these new topics .(It is
obvious that we should be good in other topics also but we can get so
many questions on these old topics from hundred of sites ) By
reffering questions which are given at the back of Kathy’s book u can
get exam cleared but if u want to get good score u have to go through
different types of questions on these new topics .
All The Best !!!!!!!!
(for those Who all are planning to give SCJP 1.5 )
350 Mock Questions on SCJP 1.5 - JUST Rs.250 or 7 USD
Send us mail to firstname.lastname@example.org